Employment & Auditions
AUDITION NOTICE: PORTLAND OPERA’S PRODUCTION OF SHOW BOAT
Auditions will be held on December 5 and 6, 2014
at the offices of Portland Opera:
The Hampton Opera Center
211 SE Caruthers St, Portland, OR 97214
ROLES TO BE CAST
Experienced ensemble singers who can portray African American ethnicity onstage. All solo roles have been cast at this point.
TO SCHEDULE AN AUDITION
Auditions are by appointment only. Please contact Bianca Rios at email@example.com for an appointment.
SING – Please prepare an up tempo song or ballad from the traditional Broadway Repertoire (i.e. Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe, etc.). No contemporary Broadway repertoire: i.e. Les Miserables, Wicked, Miss Saigon, Rent, Spring Awakening, Phantom, etc. Bring sheet music in your own key. No transpositions on site, no a capella, karaoke, or tapes will be allowed. An accompanist will be provided.
REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE INFO
Music rehearsals begin March 16, 2015. Staging begins April 6, 2015 Performances are May 1, 3m, 5, 7, and 9, 2015. There are no rehearsals before 6 pm, except on Sundays, when rehearsals may begin at 1 pm.
All performers will receive compensation for both rehearsals and performances. Total compensation for the production will likely exceed $1500, dependent upon total number of rehearsals.
Please note: Portland Opera is considering local Portland performers only at this time.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on mainstage auditions.
PORTLAND OPERA CHORUS
Auditions for the Portland Opera Chorus are held on a biennial basis. The next round of open auditions is scheduled for spring of 2015. Further details will be available on the audition page at a later date.
Portland Opera seeks non-singing performers (supernumeraries or supers) for future productions. Supers perform a variety of roles, from servants to soldiers, and get to experience opera up close and personal from the Keller Auditorium stage. This exciting opportunity allows you to become part of the production on an intimate level. This is a volunteer position with free parking and two passes to the dress rehearsal provided. Please contact Bianca Rios at email@example.com for applications.
Portland Opera Costume Shop seeks capable, dedicated and enthusiastic interns interested in practical “hands-on” experience:
2 Interns: January – April 2015
2 Interns: April – July 2015
Desired Skills and Experience:
– Machine sewing (domestic and industrial) as well as hand stitching
– Detail oriented, organized, punctual
– Willingness to learn and ability to actively listen
– Commitment to a project from start to finish – with a positive attitude
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
– Assisting full-time staff with fabric prep, alterations, costume construction, and maintenance
– Participation in daily shop duties – including cleaning and organizing
– Minimum of 90 hours with the option to stay longer through the season, if desired
Perks of Being an Intern:
– Comp tickets to student dress rehearsal
– Opportunity to shadow costume professionals backstage during rehearsals
– See your work on stage!
Please Note: This internship is UNPAID and meant to enhance your technical costuming abilities – This is NOT a design opportunity.
To be considered for an internship position, applicants are asked to submit the following:
– A cover letter stating his/her specific interests, available dates and level of commitment (e.g. full-time, 15 hours weekly)
– Current resume
– At least two letters of academic or professional reference
Send Application Materials to:
Attn: Frances Britt
211 SE Caruthers St
Portland, OR 97214
Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit us on the web at www.portlandopera.org
Please do not call the Costume Shop